[Pmwiki-users] inetinfo.exe unknown software exception cry

J. Meijer commentgg
Sat May 22 15:13:13 CDT 2004

My local Windows pmwiki is down.

When saving a page inetinfo.exe gives 'unknown software exception'. No
better then the 'global protection fault' of the old days.

Why these errors require me to press 'OK' when everything is obviously wrong
is one of those riddles of life. Conformation rules so I press OK and the
system shuts down. Well partially, so it is at least really annoying.

Just when I content myself with working on the Windows platform after I read
the response on 'pmwiki installation tip'. Apparently something as simple as
pmwiki can't be installed or install itself without major headaches. Instead
it apparently needs to plot with Linux to uphold the law of the odds working
against us.

No matter the excuses there is no excuse. Isn't that why Windows is no
alternative? Why is there no law against massive amounts of people being
trapped into simple errors, waisting giant amounts of effort? It would be so
much humane to resolve the error at the source.

So much of what is being taught is about cleaning up what's been done wrong.
Large investments in the type of knowledge that is actually worthless
nonsense. An icon on your desktop should perform the sequence required,
instructing the computer what to do. Instead of you.

There is a partial workaround though to this error, discovered by accident:
when I disable the final Redirect() in HandlePost() (in pmwiki.php) and do a
substantially delayed manual page request, all is well.. no inetinfo.exe
breakdown. The page is saved. Putting in a sleep(10) before the Redirect()
doesn't work.

During all of this the list of processes shows php.exe appearing only when a
page is requested. But while saving a page the process ID changes
frequently. Other processes do not show this behaviour.

Anyone seen this? As an intial response to the prolem I have installed
IISRecycle: no solution.

-jm

When the system bogs you down, you blog your way out.