[Pmwiki-users] Re: markup musings - notation idea

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat May 22 05:15:16 CDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, John Feezell wrote:

Just for comparison, I've written the examples below using '->'.

> General Case:
> [[link | link text || alt text]]

	[[link appearance | alt attribute -> link target]]

which would look like this when you have a picture pointing
illustrating a link:

	[[Attach:cow.jpg | A white cow -> CowPage]]

Actually, you could even attach an additional '|' allowing you a link
title as well:

	[[Attach:cow.jpg | A white cow -> CowPage | The Cow Page! ]]

Note: The '->' above could be replaced by '<-' if we want the target
first, thus giving us:

	[[CowPage | The Cow Page <- Attach:cow.jpg | A white cow]]

Anyway, since I think '->' would be slightly more natural I'll only write
down how it'd look using that style.

> Case 1:
> [[WikiWord]]

	[[WikiWord]]

> Case 2:
> [[WikiWord | link text]]
> [[PHPDiffEngine | Diff engine in pure PHP]]

	[[ Diff engine in pure PHP -> PHPDiffEngine ]]

	[[ Strawberry Pop-Tart -> http://www.pmcihaud.com/toas ]]

> Case 4:
> [[{{singleword}} | link text]]
> [[{{Installation}} | Download and Install]]

I thought the {{..}} wasn't needed any more, i.e.

	[[ Download and Install -> installation ]]

> Case 5:
> [[link | link text || alt text]]
> [[W3C | Attach:3wc.jpg || World Wide Web Consortium]]

	[[ Attach:3wc.jgp | Word Wide Web Consortium -> W3C ]]

	[[ | Toaster and Pop-Tarts -> http://www.pmichaud.com/toas ]]

> Case 7:
> [[acronyms || alt text]]
> [[HTML || HyperText Markup Language]]

Um... since I don't think this is a link, using '->' seems inappropriate
to me. Without knowing what the above actually i supposed to do, nor how
it should be rendered, I might prefer one or more of these:

	[[acronym: HTML == HyperText Markup Language]]
	[[abbreviation: abbr == abbreviation]]

> Case 8:
> [[link | #sequence]]
> [[http://www.pmichaud.com/toast |#]]

I assume this is the link that's rendered as e.g. [1]. Using '->', one of
these alternatives could be used:

	[[ # -> http://www.pmichaud.com/toast ]]
	[[#->http://www.pmichaud.com/toast]]
	[[-> http://www.pmichaud.com/toast ]]
	[[->http://www.pmichaud.com/toast]]

where I think I'd prefer the last two alternatives. If a title is needed
for the link, then this should work:

	[[-> http://www.pmichaud.com/toast | Toaster and Pop-Tarts]]

/Christian