[Pmwiki-users] Re: Group.Page&edit

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri May 14 07:04:25 CDT 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:48:39PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > Anyway I'd like to repeat my vote for an internal portable URL-format where
> > one does not have to remember, consider or type the '?pagename=' nor the
> > '&action-' part.
>
> I agree that this is annoying :-(  but I'm not sure introducing a special
> is a good solution. Maybe this could be fixed in the function that does
> the formatting (can't remember its name). For instance,
>
> 	Group.PageName?par=val

Enough people have commented on the desire for this sort of syntax
that I'm seriously looking into it.  The idea would be that one
can do  PageName?action=edit  to get to the edit form for PageName,
and PmWiki would do its magic fixing-of-the-URLs for those sites
that are stuck with the ?pagename= syntax.

However, note that this still doesn't resolve the documentation
problems, because on systems where one has ?pagename=Group.PageName
style URLs adding ?action=edit still doesn't fix things.

Another broader solution might be to get PHP to understand
both '&' and '?' as argument separators in the query string portion
of URLs.  PHP has a configuration option to do this (arg_separator.input),
but unfortunately it can't be used from within a PHP script so PmWiki
would need to do its own QUERY_STRING processing to achieve this.
However, if I did that, then there would be no problem with:

     http://server/path/to/wiki?pagename=PmWiki.GroupName?action=edit

and everything would "just work".