[Pmwiki-users] Re: Attach (was Re: spaces in uploaded files)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu May 13 09:39:55 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:04:45PM -0700, Steven Leite wrote:
> I've always felt that Attach: should be a directive, as in, [[Attach:]]
> or [[attach:]].
> It doesn't feel right to include it as plain text along with the other
> WikiText.  If it's special, and it's doing something (internally), it
> should be apparent from it's syntax.

Attach: doesn't do anything "special" if the attachment exists--
it simply provides a link to the attachment, same as any other InterMap
or http://server.com/somefile.ext link.  The only way in which Attach:
is special is if the attachment does not exist, in which case it
provides a '?'-link to prompt for uploading the attachment (same as
a WikiWord to a nonexistent page).

Of course, there's nothing to prevent us from having attach implemented
as both an intermap link AND a directive (except the confusion it will
invite when people want to know the difference between the two methods
or why multiple methods exist).