[Pmwiki-users] Odd behavior resulting from $WikiWordCountMax = 0

Eric Celeste efc
Wed Mar 24 06:12:39 CST 2004

I've noticed that if I set $WikiWordCountMax to zero, it disables WikiWords
not only in the plain markup, but also inside [[]] links. In other words...

   [[PageName call me this]]

...no longer works. Even odder, the rendered text on the page is "PageName"
(without any linking or question mark) instead of "call me this".

This is a very counterintuitive result. Shouldn't a simple WikiWord in the
link position of a [[]] construction still be a link even when
$WikiWordCountMax is zero? After all, I've explicitly indicated I _want_ a
link in this case. Even if the link breaks, shouldn't the [[]] construct
still render the "call me this" text?

By the way, I realize the {{}} construction still works under these
circumstances. However, the {{}} does not allow for "call me this" alternate
text, so it does not help me. I also realize I can work around this problem
by using [[Group.PageName call me this]] and have done so. But I still think
the behavior of $WikiWordCountMax is not what a typical user will expect.

I'm running PmWiki 0.6.9. I'm very impressed with the short release cycle of
PmWiki and will upgrade soon, but I had not read in the release notes that
work had been done on the behavior of $WikiWordCountMax.

Have fun!
...Eric

Eric Celeste / 612-624-4126 / efc at umn.edu / http://umn.edu/home/efc
Associate University Librarian for Information Technology
University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Libraries