[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for the sample-config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Mar 18 19:07:21 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:50:31AM +0100, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:47:02PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Hm. The PHP manual has two different opinions on this?
>
> http://de.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php:
> zlib.output_compression "0" PHP_INI_SYSTEM|PHP_INI_PERDIR
>
> http://de.php.net/manual/en/ref.zlib.php
> zlib.output_compression "Off" PHP_INI_ALL
> [...]

You're correct, it's weird.  From what I've been able to tell, you
can -disable- zlib.output_compression using ini_set(), but you can't
-enable- it using ini_set().  Anyway, I ran some experiments
with zlib.output_compression on one of my servers and was pretty
much able to convince myself that zlib.output_compression can only
be enabled via configuration directives.

> I'd also like to vote against enabling this per defaulft. It might
> interfere with other settings e.g. if the webserver already has support
> for mod_gzip, etc. (perhaps mod_gzip handles this nicely - I just don't
> know enough about it)

Yes, I think I will either go with the original suggestion of placing it
as a commented line in sample-config.php, or else provide an
$EnableCompressedOutput=1 configuration variable (which would also be
mentioned in sample-config.php).