[Pmwiki-users] Synchronizing multiple / backuping wikis via web interface

Eike Decker eike
Fri Mar 12 13:55:39 CST 2004

Hi!

It would be a nice feature for the wikiadministrator to be able to do "backups"
with a webinterface. This would be a nice feature for any admin, as for people
who don't have a permanent webconnection and want to keep costs low by updating
their wiki locally and then exporting it to a Webwiki. The easier it is to do
backup, the easier it is to avoid the desaster of data loss ...

Therefore a interface like "Upload" would be needed that offers the admin to
download the data from the wiki and upload directories in a zip file. It would
be nice if the last backup date would be shown and to be able to do incremental
backups by date so that the bandwidth is kept low. Also it would be a nice
feature if there would be checkboxes for each directory that could be backuped
(upload / wiki.d / etc.).

So much for my main idea. By the way - some Wikis are tutoriallike pages and I
guess there are quite a few users out there that would be happy about "download
page" or "download all" buttons that create a static HTML Homepage in a Zipfile
so that the user can view the pages offline.

Oh and by the way: I've added for a friend a small regex that enables to blend
the quickinfo info in as I've  suggested once (it works with links and pictures
- if the visitor keeps the mouse over the element, an info box appears. The
syntax is quite experimental - add this line of code:

$InlineReplacements["/\\(\\(info ((.*)[|]) (.*)\\)\\)/"] ="<span alt='\$2'
title='\$2'>\$3</span>";

will enable a syntax that looks like this:
((info Your information text here | anything here - links, attachments etc.))
which will produce this HTML code:

">anything here - links, attachments etc.</span>

which will display "anything here - links, attachments etc." and the
quickinfobox "Your information text here ".

I've tested this only with version 0.5 only - I've only migrated one wiki (or
better, created one new one :)) with the new version - btw. I've put quite alot
(8?) of wikis online by now, thanks for your work!!

--eike