everyday and everyDay -was- Re: [Pmwiki-users] intuitive learning

Lloyd Budd lloyd
Tue Mar 2 21:23:15 CST 2004

On 2-Mar-04, at 21:43, Robin Sheat wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:57:37PM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>> Oh!  Ah! What your wrote here and below made me realize that we are
>> not
>> on the same page.  I am coming from one such OS, MacOS X.  I just
>> tried
> Really? Mac OS X is reasonably UNIX-like, lesse:
It is not actually Mac OS X, but the most common file system(s) that
are case non-sensitive.

> [robin at oucs799 rsheat]$ ssh rsheat at dumb
> Welcome to Darwin!
> [dumb:~] rsheat% touch FooBar
> [dumb:~] rsheat% ls foobar
> foobar
> [dumb:~] rsheat% ls FooBar
> FooBar
> [dumb:~] rsheat% ls Foobar
> Foobar
> [dumb:~] rsheat% ls fksog
> ls: fksog: No such file or directory
>
> on Linux:
> [robin at oucs799 rsheat]$ touch FooBar
> [robin at oucs799 rsheat]$ ls foobar
> ls: foobar: No such file or directory
>
> Well damn. They've taken away case sensitivity. Crazy.
>
>> Agreed. I am not suggesting removing the capitals, but that regardless
>> of case the 'titles' should be interpretted, and when you arrive at
>> the
>> linked page, its title should be as the creator intended.
> Hmm, but that would make:
> {{together}} and {{to get her}} the same thing, wouldn't it? I doubt it
> comes up much, but I'd think it would be really confusing when it did.
Yes, those would be the same thing.  In the unlikely event that it did
occur in the same group, wouldn't you want to know?

> My vote is for case insensitivity to be optional, (i.e. I have no
> desire
> for it to be the case (sorry) on my wiki)
That would be ideal.