[Pmwiki-users] The reason I want a class setting that works over multiple paragraphs.

Richard Canning rcanning
Tue Mar 2 19:07:21 CST 2004

The main use that I have for PmWiki is for colaborative writing projects. We create a group for a particular project, use GroupAttributes to lock it so only the authors of that project can access it, and the we use it to keep records of all of the writing, do revision tracking, talk about plots, all
sorts of things. It works really well.

This is also why I have not been able to include any of my Wiki pages in SuccessStories, because it is all material to be published, or at least for private use.

Currently, so that we can see who wrote what comment, we use a table to change the background of a section of paragraphs so we can easily see by what colour is used, who wrote it.

Eg:
   [[table width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0']]
   [[cell bgcolor='#ffe5da']]

   Insert text here

   [[tableend]]

Now this is not very good for a number of reasons.
1) It does not print well.
2) It makes the pages look too busy.
3) It is awkward to do.

What we want to be able to do is use something like.

   [[div richard]]

   Insert text here

   [[divend]]

And then we can set styles for each author that can change not just the background colour, but the style of the text, the colour of the text, the alignment, size, whatever.

I understand that this post supplies nothing useful to the list, but I thought it was important to say my reasons for asking for the ability to start and end divs, rather than having to specify the style at the beginning of each paragraph.

Sometimes the "Insert text here" is a lot of paragraphs and to have to append something to the start of all of them makes the source look very clunky. Especially for my wife who is not a coder at all, and sometimes has trouble with the table markup listed above because she does not understand it. A
nice simple [[div sara]] she would understand.

Thanks for your attention (for those of you who have read this far)

Richard Canning

The information contained in this email message and any attachments
may be confidential and may also be the subject of legal professional
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any
disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.
Please notify me by return email.