[Pmwiki-users] alt text for images

Nathan Jones nathanj
Tue Mar 2 00:00:00 CST 2004

Tommy Hern wrote:
>I know I am dreaming, but while you are talking of compulsory author ID,
>how about defaulting the same for alt text?

Yeah, you're dreaming. ;-)  Neither author ID nor alt text should be
compulsory by default, but providing config options to make them
mandatory could be useful.

Unfortunately, making alt text madatory is not going to make authors
choose suitable alt text. PmWiki already seems to include alt="", which
is the best option for images that don't have content. An admin who
decides that alt text should be compulsory would need to educate users
about accessibility. Also, if you make alt text mandatory, what should
the author enter when inserting an image that has no content (eg. a
spacer or fancy line instead of a <hr>)?

>As to "quotes, angle brackets, and the like,"

I missed the context here - quotes and angle brackets for what?

--
Nathan Jones