[Pmwiki-users] Fwd: Bold and Italic Syntax

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Wed Jun 30 16:50:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:45:32PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:49:21PM -0400, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> > I've been working on my wiki lately (improving skins, etc.) and have
> > gotten stuck on the issue of the bold and italic syntax.  I'm not a fan of
> > ''italic'', '''bold''', and '''''bold italic'''''.  Instead I want *bold
> > words*, _italic words_ or /italic words/, and **bold italic words**,
> > without *bold* getting confused with bullet lists.
> >
> > Anybody want to help?  I don't know any PHP at all, so I'm at your mercy.
> > :)
>
> Take a look at http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2003-August/001282.html and http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2003-August/001285.html for a couple of ideas on this, including
> some sample code.

I also thought about this a while ago, but I came to the conclusion that
I like '',''','''' (looks weird, eh?) more because they are logical
markup. In fact they are converted to logical HTML too (<em> and
<strong>). And <em> must not always be displayed as italic...

>From http://nasa-wbp.larc.nasa.gov/2.0/2_1.html

Logical markup specifies the nature of a piece of text: such as a
heading, a paragraph, an important word, a book title. Physical markup
specifies how the text will look on screen: large font, bold face,
italics.

Whenever possible, use logical markup instead of physical markup to let
the browser choose how to display the specified text. Sometimes the
desired appearance (e.g., boldface) may not be available in a particular
browser (e.g., on a character terminal or text-to-speech reader). In
addition, the logical elements are generally more meaningful for parsing
of the document. Declaring that something is a level 1 heading will be
more useful than saying it is in bold, courier, and a 24-pt. font.

-- Balu