[Pmwiki-users] Re: Presentation skin and recipe

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Jun 30 15:41:32 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 30 June 2004 10:43 PM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:
>I'm not sure I'd consider [[tocauto]] "block-level" -- to me it's simply a
>directive that inserts a toc.

Yes & no. Some directives, including tocauto, have to be at the start of
a line and should be on lines by themselves. If they are not used often,
it's helpful to give the author a cue on correct usage -- having a
special character for directives that need their own line seems to me a
useful thing to do. The markup ought to guide people to 'do it right the
first time'.

If the markup is

    =tocauto On this page...

(replacing the default heading), an author knows this has to start a line.

It seems to me that:

    "directives of the form '=keyword parameters' have to be on a line
     by themselves; directives of the form '[:keyword parameters:]'
     can be anywhere"

is easier to remember than:

    "all directives take the form '[:keyword parameters:]' and some
     of these have to be on a line by themselves"

But that's just me...

>As for the questions/answers, I'm not quite clear. Would this:
>
>	Q:Question: What is the meaning of life?
>	A:Answer: 42
>
>now become this:
>
>	=QQuestion: What is the meaning of life?
>	=AAnswer: 42

I think it becomes:

	=Q Question: What is the meaning of life?
 	=A Answer: 42 (but only if you have 13 fingers)

>... but I'd probably still prefer
>
>	[[:Q:]]Question: What is the meaning of life?
>	[[:A:]]Answer: 42

I think the current proposal is

	[:Q:]Question: What is the meaning of life?
	[:Q Question: What is the meaning of life?:]
 	[:A Answer: 42:]

I don't know if the Q: and A: syntax is being brought into
the directive markup model.

--
JR