[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Uploading and password proctecting

chr@home.se chr
Wed Jun 16 13:59:00 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > > Not at all.  Just because PmWiki tries to make certain directories
> > > web-inaccessible by default doesn't mean they have to be that way
> > > in order for things to work.  A wikiadministrator is always free to
> > > open up any directory to the web (and thus the tools that would be
> > > available from doing so).
> >
> > I meant that we loose the ability if the upload directory is made
> > non-public (regardless if it's PmWiki that creates the .htaccess or the
> > administrator).
>
> Uhhh, how does this invalidate my comment that a wikiadministrator can
> still open up any directory to the web (in effect, overriding PmWiki's
> default choice, whatever it ends up being)?  Or am I missing the point
> entirely?

Maybe we should start over... the point I'm trying to make, is that if
public access to the upload directory is blocked, we loose the ability to
use Apache's "dirctory listing" functionality, and potentially also the
possibility to use external software for managing the files (I'd like
drag'n'drop here).

> > > Nothing wrong with it, but here are the arguments against PmWiki using
> > > that as the primary (or only) means of access control to uploads:
> > [...]
> > So you think it'd be worth the effort to implement some more advanced
> > "file handling capabilities" then?  (Or just merge some other GPL'd tool
> > that fits nicely)
>
> No, I'm not advocating that at all.  I certainly don't have a need
> for anything beyond what Apache already provides, and I haven't heard
> strong enough declarations of "This needs to be core PmWiki functionality"
> to make it worth the effort, especially since there are many other tools
> available that can do a better job.

Then I should probably mention that being able to use uploaded files was
an absolute requirement when I chose wiki engine. And to be explicit :), I
think handling files is an important part of a collaboration software in
general. This is also PmWiki's weakest point at the moment IMHO.

Of course, I don't say we necessarily have to code these things into the
core, but it'd be nice to find some solutions that work well with PmWiki.

And finally, there's quite a lot of other stuff handling so this can wait.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr