[Pmwiki-users] User problems when uploading files

Steven Leite steven_leite
Mon Jun 14 23:51:14 CDT 2004

On Monday, June 14, 2004 2:02 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd like some ideas on how the process of uploading (and to some
> extent accessing) files can be improved. This is probably more of a
> problem with my UploadExtended where files may be uploaded to
> subdirectories, but I suspect that the process in general could be
> uploaded.

I would like to see a module that closely resembles the way pages are
currently created/edited/deleted.  Not that I like that approach
(exactly), but just that it's more inline with the existing approach to
pages.  I like uniformity.

So for example, if a "file" is to be "deleted" .. then it should be
deleted in the same way that pages are (date/time stamp to be appended
to the file).  Again, I don't exactly like that approach specifically,
but at least the two notions of deleting something (the PmWiki way)
would be more consistent.

As for alternate approaches, there are several good/simple file-manager
programs out there (simple, complex, small, large, etc).  I'm sure one
might fit the bill, and then it could be some-how integrated in to a
PmWiki Cookbook recipe.

Another very workable solution is to use a stand-alone application that
is already tried, tested, and true - then set it up to use the
PmWiki/uploads folder.  Now that the "where" is taken care of, you can
use the X-Include plug-in (see Cookbook) and call that "separate"
stand-alone application via an i-frame.

If it sounds ugly, well, it is .. but actually it's really not that bad.
You can create a custom template just for that page, and you can size
the iframe according to the size of the stand-alone app.

I used this approach for the longest time with an external image-gallery
program that I was using.  If you want more clarification, screenshots,
or examples on this idea let me know and I can elaborate a bit more.

Hope that helps.