[Pmwiki-users] Allowing both [[...]] and ((...)) as link markup (was: New link markup...)

Nils Knappmeier nk
Mon Jun 14 15:50:48 CDT 2004

>No. Disabling a feature is very user unfriendly. Perhaps we Germans will
>start using ((...)) because it's easier to type, but all Americans will
>use [[...]]. If people get used to something, don't take it away later.

OK, here is a very complicated yet simple solution to that. Complicated
in implementation,
simple in usage (I guess):

We already a permanently saved cookie for the author. We might as well
set another one for
a markup type. In this case, the user can choose, whether he wants to
use ((...)) or [[...]] at some point.
So when this cookie is set, PmWiki will turn all [[ into ((, all ]] into
)) and then display the edit form to the user.
When the user saves, PmWiki will reverse all that and store it.

Of course you must take care, that the mode isn't switching
somehow during an edit, or everything will screw up.

Nils

>Allowing both will make people use different style all over your Wiki
>and confusing others.
>
>It'll also take away the chance of using one of them later for different
>markup.
>

>>PS. Do you know any statistics on the use of ((...)) v.s. [[..]]? For that
>>matter, do you know any web pages that have compared the markup of
>>different wiki engines?
>>

>http://wikifeatures.wiki.taoriver.net/moin.cgi/WikiEngine
>
>Not really markup, but features... It lists several major markup styles
>which should be evaluated... C2, TWIKI, USEMOD, MOIN, PHPWIKI, ...
>
>-- Balu

home: http://www.dike.de/~nknapp
icq: 11786572

The great thing about being the only species that makes
a distinction between right and wrong is that we can
make up the rules for ourselves as we go along.

Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See...