[Pmwiki-users] Why groups?

J. Perkins jason
Mon Jun 14 15:42:26 CDT 2004

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Also, in any discussion of hierarchical pages I think that people
> making proposals need to also address the issues of passwords,
> permissions, and group (subpage?) headers and footers and not just
> assume that they will "just work" the same as in the current model.

A valid point. I had already started looking into authorization, I will
consider headers/footers as well.

> And, a I have a big comment about having "pages at the top level"--
> i.e., pages that aren't in a group or that are not a subpage.  In my early
> experiments with wiki--before I added WikiGroups--one problem I found
> was that authors, especially new authors, don't tend to think in
> terms of how pages should be structured in the long term.  Thus, in
> a page+subpage model, a *lot* of pages will tend to be created at the
> root level, because many authors are just going to want to create a
> link to "SomeNewPage" without considering if the new page is subordinate
> to the current one (in which case the link should be written
> ./SomeNewPage).

Just a clarification -- in the scheme I am proposing, the link
[[SomeNewPage]] creates a sibling to the current page. If this link
occurs on the page /NFL/Teams/Patriots, the new page would be
/NFL/Teams/SomeNewPage. It is still quite possible that a user would
create a page at a level up from where it should go, but all new pages
will not be cluttering up the root level as suggested.

FYI, I am not (or at least, no longer) trying to "sell" hierarchical
pages to the community at large. I am just trying to get them to work,
and work well, for myself and anyone else that wants them. And I'm
spending far more time on it than I had intended, FWIW.

Jason