[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat Jun 12 16:31:49 CDT 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Why couldn't categories be used to specify header/footer/sidebar?
>
> How do you mean?  Rather than saying "why can't it be done", can you
> give an example of how it would be done using categories instead of
> groups ?

Today we use groups for:
1. Separate namespace
2. Giving a set of pages a common header/footer/sidebar etc
3. Doing special configuration for a set of pages (using local/$Group.php)

I was thinking these functions could be use separately (or together of
course). The namespace aspect should be kept and even expanded by
introducing page trees. When it comes to using a common header for a set
of pages, it could be done using something like a category. Here's one
possible implemenation using a page tree:

 /
 |-- A
 '-- CategoryCoolPages
     '-- Header

where the page '/A' is said to belong to the category defined by
'/CategoryCoolPages', and the page '/CategoryCoolPages/Header' provides a
header for '/A'. The category aspect of '/A' probably have to be stored as
an attribute of '/A'.

The implemenation above is just rough suggestion, the basic idea is to let
users specify which headers, footers and sidebars that should be used
separately from which namespace is currently used.

Does this make sense?

/Christian