[Pmwiki-users] Why groups?

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Jun 10 09:00:33 CDT 2004

Hi

I still haven't had time to read (and understand) all the mails on
hiearchical groups, but since I just had a thought I want to write it down
before I forget it.

While reading some of it, I wondered why we have groups at all... why must
we say that a "group can contain subgroups". Couldn't we instead talk
about this as a page having subpages? The pages would then be organized as
a tree (or many trees). Here's an example where the tree is drawn
from left->right rather than from top->down as a tree diagrams
are usually drawn (with a comment to the right).

  /
  |-- Page1			- A page at the root of the tree

  |-- Page2			- Another page at the root

  |-- Page3

  |-- Page4			- A page that has subpages
  |   |
  |   |-- Page5			- A subpage w/o subpages
  |   |   |
  |   |   `-- Page6		- A subpage with subpages
  |   |       `-- Page7
  |   |
  |   `-- Page8			- Another subpage of Page4

  `-- Page9

What would a 'group' correspond to here? Is that simply the parent of the
page?

Ok... I have to get back to work now, so I might simply reply to this
myself later tonight :-)

/Christian