[Pmwiki-users] Re: Hierarchical groups

Christian Ridderström chr
Wed Jun 9 18:20:22 CDT 2004

Hi

I'm too tired to go over the last 17 messages on hiearchical groups, but I
have made a drawing which I hope illustrates a few different ways of
organizing your pages. See

	http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/pmwiki/organization/figure-1.png

A few comments (see the figure)

Some wikis don't use groups at all (fig. a), with the drawback that you
only have one namespace. Then we have the PmWiki-way (tm) (see fig. b)
where each page *must* belong to exactly one (1) group. The idea of
hierarchical groups is shown in figure (c). Here each page still belongs
to exacly one group, but a group may now also contain other groups. (In
other words, the element is no longer a page, but can also be a group --
empty groups is impossible though). Finally we have my favourite (fig. d),
where a page may belong to an arbitrary number of groups (0 or more). This
solution definitely needs more work in terms of defining how it would
function, but it's too late in the evening now.

As for how to refer to other pages, I think someone (can't remember who)
had the right idea when he suggested introducing a "resolver function"
(that the administrator can customize per page basis etc). This function
would then be in charge of determining what "A/B/C" should refer to.

If a page may belong to several groups, a similar function would be needed
in order to determine what the current "group".

Finally I'd just like to say that I don't think we should be restricted by
the current implementation of how pages are stored (i.e. as a file called
GroupName.PageName).

/Christian