[Pmwiki-users] Re: PmWiki2 - FreeLinks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Jun 8 22:57:37 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:36:56AM -0700, Steven Leite wrote:
> I've seen a lot of talk about [[WikiLinks]], but there's not been any
> mention of {{FreeLinks}} yet, or how they will be handled in Version 2.

Sure it's been mentioned--in the new version all [[links]] are "free
links".  See http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/LinkSyntax

> I think this is a very good opportunity to "fix" the limitation where
> dots (.), dashes(-), underscores(_) and even spaces (  ) and symbols
> ($#%%^) are not allowed to be part of a Page Title, or Group Title.

This is fixed via the [:title ...:] directive, where any character
can be part of the title.  Also, "titles" are now separate from page
names--page names are how one refers to a page, while a title is how it
appears in headings.

PmWiki has always supported dashes and underscores in page names, and
they can be added to group names by changing GroupNamePattern, so this isn't
an existing limitation.  Including # and % are a bad idea, because
they have special meanings (PageName#anchor).  Allowing '.' in page names
means it can no longer be used as a path separator (Group.PageName).

Note that the new free link syntax does allow these characters in
the link markup--they just don't appear in the page's name (but can appear
in its title).  Thus  [[I won $40]] and [[jump ^high^]] are links to
"IWon40" and "JumpHigh".  A customization will allow these to become
"I_Won_40" and "Jump_High", or even be case-insensitive as "I_won_40"
and "Jump_high".