[Pmwiki-users] Demo: Autosave on Preview

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Jul 13 17:34:30 CDT 2004

There is a short presentation on how this might look at
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/DraftWP/Purpose

Just follow the trail -- it should be reasonably self-explanatory
(the trail links are at the bottom of the screen)

The pages are set up to illustrate the various scenarios

One unresolved question: if an existing page has a draft, should
references to that page on other pages indicate that a draft exists,
such as a following * that links to the draft version.

On Tuesday, 13 July 2004 7:12 PM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:

>[snip]

>Just to verify: Clicking '*Edit page' edits the draft?

Yes

>> and clicking the * brings you to:

>I might perfer "Page Name (draft)", or "Draft of Page Name", but now I'm
>into really minor things. Should we have a link to get back to regular
>version somewhere here?

- draft is black; the page name is blue; the delete draft character
  (-) is red -- have a look at the demo and see what you think

- but perhaps clicking 'draft' should return to the regular page

- when editing a page, roll your mouse over the page name that follows
  'Editing ...' and see the tool tip

>> and possibly (see below) clicking the Draft deletes the draft version;
>> or, clicking Draft /edits/ the draft and *Edit Page becomes
>Delete Draft
>
>I don't understand... maybe I will as a I read on.

There has to be an easy way to get rid of an unwanted draft.
When viewing the demo, when you are on a draft page, roll your
mouse over the red minus sign and see the tool tip.

>> - to prevent unauthorised saving of a draft, set an edit
>>   password for the edit and post action
>
>Do you mean saving a modified version of a draft, or saving the draft as
>the regular page?

Saving the draft as a regular page

>> Yup -- still not sure the best way to show this. I don't
>> particularly like putting Delete where Edit normally goes (above).
>> Muscle memory will cause people to delete when they mean to edit
>> and there's no way back.
>
>I'm not following you here... the "discard draft" function should be
>accessed from the edit page, so what 'Edit' would this be?

The delete draft is accessed from the view draft page currently.
I didn't want to overload the edit page. But I can easily add the
delete draft link to the edit page, or make this configurable.

>Um.. not that I argue with you about user confusion, but why does the
>draft have to be discarded just because you edit the original
>page?

Exactly. Because this initial version only supports one draft,
consider the following scenario:

- a page has a draft and an original

- an author edits the original and presses Preview & Make Draft

- we just over-write the earlier draft

So an author could easily over-write the draft without realising.
I think it's safer always to edit the draft. If an author wants to
revert to the original, she deletes the draft as a conscious action.

>> >Maybe it'd be best to implement it and see how it works?
>> >
>> I'll see what I can come up with.
>
>Great! I think we need to actually try it out to get a feel for what works
>and what doesn't.  That reminds me... are there any other wikis that
>support drafts?  Or branches for that matter?

I don't know of any. In some ways, it a bit anti the wiki way. A wiki
page is always draft.

--
JR