[Pmwiki-users] Plans to MD5SUM Source on FTP Site?

Ben Wilson pmwiki
Sat Jul 10 16:44:13 CDT 2004

Reading that at least one person had a corrupted install, I was
wondering if the various releases could have an md5sum file accompanying
them to help the individual downloading. This is fairly standard
practice.

When the tar/zip is created, an md5sum is made of that file. The sum is
catted into a file, so that when somebody downloads the source, he can
verify that the contents of the file are the same as when the tarball
was made. This helps mitigate issues of a corrupted transmission.

I had a situation happen when I downloaded and burned to CD the first CD
of the Gentoo Linux OS. I had an impossible time installing it, so I
decided to check the sum on my copy. Seems my copy did get corrupted in
the installation. So, the easy fix was to redownload. But, at least with
the sum, I was able to pinpoint the problem.

--
Regards,
Ben

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis
exponebantur ad necem.