[Pmwiki-users] Re: Random Quote script needed

J. Meijer commentgg
Fri Jul 9 19:24:39 CDT 2004

I'll look into X-include, I need to learn.

I don't understand why you ask why I would like a cache. Of course I want
the safety net it provides, in the event the site suddenly becomes popular.
Cached pages can be served an order of magnitude faster.

Disabling page-expiry is something I have already done. If you mean the
header required to have IE maintain a copy of the page in its cache so it
can be read off-line.

An explanation of this:
> Unless the cache script should handle this task of last-minute
> cosmetic changes... I guess that would be a sensible alternative.
> Some division of responsabilities would be nice anyway, because
> cookies can't be served by static html pages.

The problem is that cached pages can no longer change. Or generate cookies.
So highly volatile things like a random quote is incompatible with the
caching process. Unless they are taken out of the page and reinserted as
part of a secondary (non-wiki) rendering process. The cache handler might
perform such tasks, these last minute customizations. The partly generated
page, by pmwiki, could contain directives for a secondary simpler script to
render. The random quote f.e. might be inserted at this stage.
I don't know if the overhead of firing up a php script would cancel most of
the benefits though :-/

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks.

-jm