[Pmwiki-users] Edit / Lock Pages

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Jan 29 06:04:55 CST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 02:45:08PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > I don't think we should allow #3 *unless* the author first has looked
> > at #1. Maybe not unless they pressed a button like "discard first authors
> > changes".
>
> Would an "overwrite  checkbox" be okay?  How should it be phrased?

Do you mean an overwrite checkbox *after* you've reviewed the changes that
will be erased? (As for formulation, we could be inspired by the text that
MoinMoin shows -- see some earlier mail of mine IIRC).

> > Btw, what about an alternative that automatically merges the changes and
> > shows that to the author?  IMO, this should be the default behaviour if
> > there aren't any conflicts.
>
> I'm not sure how to implement automatic merge in PHP just yet.  I plan to
> investigate it at some date in the not-too-distant future, but I'm
> wondering if edit conflict detection/resolution should
> go ahead and be implemented now without merge, rather than waiting for a
> merge algorithm to be implemented.

Conflict detection should be enought for now really. Personally, I think
that for now we could simply prohibit overwriting, give a warning message
and force the person who suffered the conflict to to enterhis changes again.

/Christian

PS. Maybe we should have a global counter for the n:o times we get a
conflict, i.e. so we can find out how often this occurs?

PPS. I'll have to figure out some protocol so that pmwiki-mode for Emacs
can learn if the page was save properly or not. This is what I get back
after uploading a page:

	URL=http://www.lyx.org/~chr/demo/pmwiki.php?pagename=Upload.Upload'>

I guess it should be possible to add something here which indicates if the
upload was a success or not.

--
http://www.md.kth.se/~chr