[Pmwiki-users] [[$Search]] Box Help

Steven Leite steven_leite
Mon Jan 26 23:46:09 CST 2004

Introduction

Hello everyone.  First off, I just wanted to say a quick hello, and introduce myself:  My name is Steven Leite.  I've been using (and modifying) wiki's for several years now.  PmWiki is the best Wiki I've encountered so far.

Mailing List Suggestion

I found it very difficult to find answers, and to follow some of the threads (the main point) the the mailing list because of all the fluff.  I'd like to kindly suggest you read over your message 2 or 3 times making revisions and cuts before you send it to the mailing list.  (See my revisions to THIS message below to see what I'm talking about).  I hope I have not offended anyone with my suggestion.

My Question

I would like to know why the Search Results page does not match the rest of the PmWiki look-and-feel.  How can I fix this?

Thank kindly,

Steven Leite - steven_leite at kitimat.net

Revisioin 2

.. some more cuts and minor fix ups ...

Revision 1

Subject:  [[$Search]] Box Help

I.  Hello everyone.  First off, I just wanted to say a quick hello, and introduce myself:

I've been using (and modifying) wiki's for several years now.  I have considerable experience as both a WikiAdministrator, and a WikiAuthor.  PmWiki is the best Wiki I've encountered so far.

2.  I wanted to make a general suggestion to help make this mailing list more effective.  The mailing list is for the benefit of Administators, to get support and help, and discuss Wiki related issues correct?  Well, in order to achieve that, we need "just the facts" (as I read in some Wiki documentation somewhere).

I would like to suggest everybody read-over their message two or three times and make revisions (and cuts) to things that are not absolutey necessary BEFORE sending it to the mailing list.  This will HUGElY improve the readability of the messages, as well as give the answers quickly, efficiently and precisely to those who would be looking for such answers.  As this mailing list grows in size it will become increasingly more difficult to digest the mailings, not to mention find any answers - which is the whole point .. isn't it?

This message will illustrate what I am suggesting.  At the end of this message I have include my original message, as well as my 1st Revisions.  This clearly illustrates the amount of fluff you can cut out of your messages without losing any content or meaning for those who will be reading it.

I started off with a lot of babble, and cut the message down nicely to make it short, and to the point, plus it doesn't take too long to read and digest the information.  I hope I have not insulted anybody with my suggestion.  It's only a suggestion.

3.  As the subject of this message indicates, I have a question about the [[$Search]] box.  I would like to know why the Search Results page does not match the rest of the PmWiki look-and-feel.  How can I fix this?  I have many more customization questions as well, I trust this mailing list is the perfect place to ask such questions?

Revision 0 (Original Text)

I.  Hello everyone.  I'm new to this mailing list.  This will be my first post.  First, I just wanted to say hello, and quickly introduce myself:  I've been using (and modifying) wiki's for several years now -- despite that fact, I am no professional programmer -- almost all of my edits and modifications have been asthetic, and not functional.  Still, I have a lot of experience as an WikiAdministrator, as well as a WikiAuthor.  I think PmWiki is the best Wiki I've encountered so far, and I've used many.  Some of my favorites are Use-Mod Wiki, PHPWiki, and ErfertWiki.  Some of my least favorite were:  MediaWiki (aka Wikipedia), and Twiki.  Despite some of the apparently cool features these two Wiki's have, they were a nightmare to set up, and in the case of Twiki, it was about 8MB download.

2.  I've been doing a lot of reading (downloaded the whole website to my computer for off-line reading with a really cool FREE utility called SuperBot 3.1A), as well, I downloaded the entire archives for this mailing list and spent some time perusing it's contents as well.  I noticed an excessive amount of typing, both on the website and in the mailing list, which makes it extremely difficult to get the answers you are looking for quickly, and without being a rocket scientist to figure out how to follow the instructions when you finally find them.  If somebody would like to comment on the above topics (#1 or #2, then I would request you please start a new thread instead of replying to this one as it will blur the original purpose of this post which is in point #3 below)

3.  As the subject of this message indicates, I have a question about the [[$Search]] box.  I would like to know why the Search Results page does not match the rest of the PmWiki look-and-feel.  How can I fix this?  I have many more customization questions as well, I trust this mailing list is the perfect place to ask such questions?

Thanks,

Steven Leite - steven_leite at kitimat.net