[Pmwiki-users] Q: separate cgi-bin and html forlders

Alexander Babanov babanov
Mon Jan 26 02:59:16 CST 2004

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> You do realize, of course, that PmWiki shouldn't have to be installed
> in a cgi-bin folder to work...  you should be able to install it in
> your WWW folder without any problem if your web hosting provider
> has PHP installed correctly.  PmWiki (and most PHP programs) don't
> have to be installed in the cgi-bin directory.

You're right, I created a sample <?php phpinfo(); ?> file in a WWW
folder and it runs just fine. I guess I'll just move all scripts there
and call it a day ~:-)

> OTOH, if it's working for you now, no real reason to change it.  :-)

Well, apparently it doesn't ,-) Sure, given some set of assumptions it
does, but as soon as you make one step away - it doesn't. Here is one
more example (this is before moving scripts and pages together):

I added include_once("scripts/sessionauth.php"); line to local.php as
you suggested. Now, when I click "Edit", I get an authentication prompt.
So far so good. I edit the page, click "Preview" and get another
authentication form. Weird, but I get weirder things than this free in
my breakfast cereal[1] Now, I enter the password again and, wadda you
know, here comes the original page with no changes recorded. Bummer ;-D

By the way, I downloaded the group's archive and found a few question of
the kind. Doesn't seem to be a common problem, but it sure feels great
not to be alone =8-]

> Also, it wasn't clear from your message, but you can add the changes
> you made directly into local.php instead of having to modify the
> pmwiki.php script (useful for when you upgrade to a newer version of
> PmWiki--no need to repatch the script).

What's what I do. Nice feature, really!

Ok, I'll go and shuffle the things around. Stay tuned for more
dumb^Wexciting questions ;-)

Thanks! / Alex