[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Jan 17 17:46:17 CST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:50:24AM +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:

> > This page is done with the <div>-based layout scheme I described in
> > my previous message--no table cells.  The other pages in the Kallisti
> > group are still based on tables, but the difference in the php
> > configuration is a single include() statement.
>
> Hmm, all good. One thing about it (there has to be something:) is that
> is isn't resizable. It would be better if it fit itself to the width of
> the browser.

I haven't found any way to do this in a way that works in all browsers;
in particular, Netscape 7.1 has trouble dealing with floating <div>s
that don't have a width specified (Netscape wants them to default to
100% of the page width) and I haven't found a CSS width specifier that
means "take the remaining horizontal space of the page" to Netscape.  I'm
attaching a screen dump that illustrates the problem in Netscape.

So, the only way I can seem to get it to work in Netscape is to specify an
absolute horizontal width for the wikibody, or to use absolute positioning
on the boxes (which eliminates the use of PmWiki's footer, since its position
vertically depends on the length of the wikibody, which can be variable).
tony.rocks.cc uses absolute positioning for its boxes, and its "footer"
is actually in the div containing the main text.

However, resizing to the width of the page does appear to work properly in
IE6.