[Pmwiki-users] Passwords

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Jan 16 07:22:26 CST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> ...except this statement isn't true if no read password has been set, or
> if the read password was set to "nopass".

Details, details :-) The current text reads:

	Enter new attributes for this page below. Leaving a field blank
 	will leave the attribute unchanged. To clear an attribute, enter
	'clear'.

Question: How does 'clear' relate to 'nopass'?

What about adding this text next to the submit button (if we want the
original page to be automatically shown afterwards):

 	Note: Pressing submit will set the passwords and take you to <page>.
        If you set the read password, you will be asked for it before the
	page is shown.

> > Another alternative would be that a verification page is shown after you
> > have pressed submit. This page could contain something like.
> > 	Markup:						Comment:
> > 	You have successfully changed the
> > 	attributes of <page> to the
> > 	following values.
> > 	* The '''read''' password is <pwd>		'view' pwd. instead?
> > 	* The '''edit''' password is <pwd>
> > 	* The '''attribute''' password is <pwd>
>
> Somehow displaying the passwords in a page seems risky to me--pages have
> a nasty habit of being cached where people can find them.  At most I'd
> be able to say "you've set the read, edit, and attr passwords".

That's true... but I kind of like the idea of getting a confirmation
page after you've set the passwords. Actually, it's not obvious that
you *want* to view the page again. Anyway, the main point with an
information afterwards is so that you're not confused by the dialog
that immediately shows up.

[clip]

Just a wild hope... all I know about this topic is that I can control
what's shown in the dialog through my .htaccess-file using

	AuthName "Christians private pages"

but I don't see how the .htaccess-file could have this different depending
on what page it is and how it's accessed :-(

> > PS. Maybe the ''read'' password should really be referred to as the
> > ''view'' password?
>
> Yup, I think so--several people have asked for 'view' instead of 'read'.
> This can be set in local.php:
>    $PageAttributes['read'] = 'Set new view password:';

Will you change this for 0.6, or wait for another major change?

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr