[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Jan 15 07:09:16 CST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:07:47PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > > I'm very open to comments and suggestions on this.  I know that
> > > CSS-based layouts are getting a ton of use among the PmWiki community
> > > (FlexLayout gets mentioned quite a bit), so I was trying to integrate
> > > a lot of those features directly into the PmWiki distribution to meet
> > > that demand.  But if it comes at too high a cost to usability by end
> > > users, then perhaps we should rely less on CSS--I dunno.  I just don't
> > > have a good feel for what constitutes "best practice" with browser
> > > compatibility at the moment.  :-(
> > >
> > > On the other hand, the CSS scheme I'm currently using in the 0.6 beta
> > > appears to have a lot of flexibility... :-)
> > >

> > Maybe we should use a table for the basic page layout, and rely on CSS for
> > minor aspects?
> >
> > Frankly, I'm going more and more with CSS myself, but that might not be
> > true for everybody.
> >
> > Anyway, how is the page layout created right now in 0.6?
>
> Just to be clear ... we're talking about he *default* pmwiki setup
> right?  The non-CSS layout can be a local customization mediated by
> $EnableCSS, right?

I think we're talking about the default setup... and I think that will use
CSS, but Patrick should answer this really.

But I wasn't talking about a special CSS customization, but how the page
layout would look like for someone using a their own CSS-sheet (some
browsers allow you to override the CSS specified by the site). This might
be useful for people who want bigger fonts, or simply fonts that are
easier to read.

I use this feature alot when I look at poorly designed web sites that are
not standars-compatible, because it's a useful way of finding links
that might otherwise be hidden behind images and stuff. Not to mention
people with really poor taste in colors, or when they think 8pt fonts are
"cute"...

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr