[Pmwiki-users] Passwords

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Jan 15 02:59:33 CST 2004

Hi

I just set some passwords for a wiki page and realized the way it is right
now is not so good. Here's what I did:

* Created a page
* Did action=attr
* Added some passwords
* Pressed 'Submit'

and I was immediately shown a dialog where I was to enter a password. Now,
I now from experience that this password is for reading the page, but the
problem is that you *think* the password is for changing the attributes or
something.

So if you've set a different password for the attributes, you get a bit
annoyed at this point...

Suggestions:

Add explaning text on the attributes page, where the text could say
something like:

	Note: Once you have pressed 'Submit', you will be asked for the
	      ''read'' password before you will be shown <page>.

Another alternative would be that a verification page is shown after you
have pressed submit. This page could contain something like.

	Markup:						Comment:
	You have successfully changed the
	attributes of <page> to the
	following values.
	* The '''read''' password is <pwd>		'view' pwd. instead?
	* The '''edit''' password is <pwd>
	* The '''attribute''' password is <pwd>

	You can now choose to:
        * View the page					(link to page)
	* Edit the page					(link to edit page)
	* Modify attributes of the page			(link to ?action=attr)

Finally, is there some way that we could get the password dialogs to let
us know if they want the password for viewing a page, editing it or
changing the attributes?

/Christian

PS. Maybe the ''read'' password should really be referred to as the
''view'' password?

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr