[Pmwiki-users] Markup...

John Rankin john.rankin
Mon Jan 12 15:10:13 CST 2004

On Tuesday, 13 January 2004 10:35 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:39:00PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:

> So I'm just confused now... why use a definition list to insert quotes
> (indented paragraph), instead of <div>...</div>?

...because until very recently (prior to CSS being widely adopted and
standardized) there wasn't a reliable way to do indented paragraphs
except by using definition lists.  Many browsers such as Netscape
4 cannot properly or reliably process <div> to do indented paragraphs.

One could potentially use the <blockquote> tag, but most browsers force
extra vertical space around a <blockquote>, which is undesirable in
many contexts.

===
Also, as I understand it, <blockquote> can optionally be rendered with pull
quotation marks around it, although no current browsers do this by default.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.2.1

JR