[Pmwiki-users] Supplement to [[<<]] (Was: Suggestions for [[<<]] replacement.

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat Jan 10 17:14:33 CST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

I encountered a common situation today that's related to this. Here's the
markup that I'm using right now:

	: : Bla bla bla bla bla [[<<]]\
	Bla bla bla bla bla [[<<]]\

I think I wrote in some other mail that I often use the combination
	[[<<]]\
but what I didn't think about then, was that I mostly use it when I'm in
some other environment than a normal paragraph.

Pretending that '\\' at the end of a line (and only at the end of a line)
is equivalent to [[<<]]\, it'd look like this:

	: : Bla bla bla bla bla bla\\
	bla bla bla bla

The combination of line-continuation and line-break is especially useful
inside tables. Here's what we want to render:

	About windows	Microsoft Windows

			Yesterday it worked
			Today it is not working
			Windows is like that

Using the current markup:

	||About windows ||Microsoft Windows[[<<]]\
	[[<<]]\
	Yesterday it worked[[<<]]\
	Today it is not working[[<<]]\
	Windows is like that ||

Using '\\' at the end of a line

	||About windows ||Microsoft Windows\\
	\\
	Yesterday it worked\\
	Today it is not working\\
	Windows is like that ||

Using the latest idea from John, the markup'd look like this (I think?)

	||About windows ||Microsoft Windows
	-
	Yesterday it worked
	-
	Today it is not working
	-
	Windows is like that ||

> On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:42:34PM -0500, J. Perkins wrote:
> > My apologies if this seems a stupid question, but what are the issues
> > with letting a newline mean <br>? I don't understand why a special
> > markup is needed.
>
> Two reasons:
> 1.  There are many people, myself included, who like lines to
> automatically wrap even when newlines are there.  My guess from the
> 50-50 split between those who want text to wrap around newlines and
> those who want newlines to generate <br> characters.

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure actually - could you
illustrate the two cases above?

> 2. Even if newline means <br>, we still need some sort of markup to allow
> other construct such as a table cell or wiki style.

I guess is what I was thinking above, i.e. 'inside' some wiki markup,
but in combination with line continuation. Which reminds me, if we ndon't
want line-continuation but only insert a line-break, what was the problem
with [[<<]]?
(I think this topic is getting too big, I'm starting to forget details)

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr