[Pmwiki-users] Suggestions for [[<<]] replacement.

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jan 5 05:16:04 CST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, John Feezell wrote:

> Well, I could live with the [[br]], although I still prefer :NL etc., but
> why not use [[brc]] for the <br clear='all' /> to parallel the [[br]]
> notation?

While brainstorming ideas... how about:

	[[br]]		-> <BR>
	[[br:all]]	-> <BR clear='all'>
	[[<<]]		-> <BR clear='all'>   (as before)

And I personally am used to '\\' indicating a newline from LaTeX, so I
would like this markup:
	\ (at EOL)	-> Line continuation
	\\		-> <BR>
	\\\		-> <P>
Hmm... actually, if we expect people to write LaTeX-like text in a wiki,
it's probably a bad idea to use this markup.

Anyway, I started to wonder about <BR clear='all'> and looked it up:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.2
	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/graphics.html#adef-clear

Evidently <BR clear='all'> is depreceated, and we should use:
	<BR id='someID'>
together with a bit of CSS:
	BR#someID { clear: all; }
so maybe this markup should be used instead:
	[[br:all]]	-> <BR id='all'>
and we have this CSS: BR#all { clear: all; }

While reading up on this subject, I encountered the notion of elements
that are 'inline' (e.g. <I>..</I> and <BR>), and elements that are
considered 'block-level' (e.g. <P>..</P> and <H3>..</H3>) etc. See
	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.3

Maybe it would be instructive to write down type of HTML the
different PmWiki-markup/constructions produce?
And maybe this should also have an effect on the precedence of the markup?

In this case, the <P>-element is block-level and may only contain inline
elements. I assume this means that as soon as we write something in a
paragraph that's a block-level element, we have implicitly ended the
paragraph?  (Since <BR> is inline, a <BR> doesn't end a paragraph).

Here's a definition of a <P>-element:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#edef-P
but it didn't really help me :-(

/Christian