[Pmwiki-users] Templates and variables: a thought

Nathan Jones nathanj
Thu Feb 26 16:52:56 CST 2004

Last I heard, a variable starts at <!--Page...Fmt--> and includes
everything up to the next variable or the end of file.

I'm not sure if this has already come up, but... is there a way to
indicate the end of a <!--Page...Fmt--> variable in a template? (And if
not, can one be created?)

Why do I ask? Two reasons:

1. Output HTML may not be complete. Example:

<!--PageFooterFmt-->
[snip several lines]

If I turn off the footer with [[nofooter]], then the </body> and </html>
end tags won't get sent to the browser. Not a major problem, but some
people may want to have valid HTML generated.

2. I might want to put a variable somewhere that is not immediately
followed by another variable. I can't think of an actual example, but it
may come up from time to time. Perhaps (I know it's contrived):

I want a message displayed after the <!--PageText-->, regardless of
wheter the footer is displayed, so I put it before <!--PageFooterFmt-->.
I also want to define <!--PageEditFmt-->, so I put that between
<!--PageText--> and my message.

Now my message is not displayed in browse mode, since it is considered to
be part of <!--PageEditFmt-->.

--
Nathan Jones