[Pmwiki-users] Suggestions for Template Improvements

Nathan Jones nathanj
Thu Feb 26 16:22:20 CST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:21:59 -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
>What point is there to create a file suffix like .tmpl which doesn't play
>nice with html editors, not to mention it's not recognized by experience
>html programmers as an editable html file?

I don't have a strong opinion on whether html or tmpl is better, but one
answer to your question:

To me, a .html file is a finished web page. .tmpl clearly tells me "this
is just a template used to generate the finished HTML".

But then, I don't use a WYSIAWYG editor, plus if I was to use an editor
that couldn't cope with different file extensions, I'd just rename my
template or create a symlink.

Documentation should point out that the filename extension is just a
convention and may be changed as required, but I don't expect .tmpl to
cause too many problems.

--
Nathan Jones