[Pmwiki-users] Documentation

Steven Leite steven_leite
Wed Feb 18 20:52:40 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Noonan" <PmWiki at ThunderBunny.org>

>     As for organization it bugs me that the documentation isn't it's own
> group (say, PmWikiDocs?).  I'm contstantly looking for it and then
> remembering it's in the PmWiki group. I can't see moving what's already
> there just for the sake of change. Maybe if we start a whole
> re-org/expansion of the docs? This would leave PmWiki as the rah
> rah/sales/introduction group.  Oooh... I'd be able to search
> PmWikiDocs/* and not get all the fluff!

I really like that idea.  I started doing exactly that on my local system,
and removing extraneous or non-critical (fluff) links and wiki words.  That
was a few weeks ago when there was hardly any activity on the documentation
end of things.  I fear all my changes are out-dated now, and there seems to
be a lot of other people working on documentation, so I think I won't bother
completing my local copy.

Mainly I was doing it for two reasons:

1)  Since I'm knew to PmWiki and still learning everything (from a sorta
newbie point of view), documenting things as I needed to know them, made the
job easier.

2) I used the opportunity for my learning about certain features to improve
the existing documentation for other users.  If the documentation wasn't
clear to me, I tried to figure it out, or asked in this mailing list, then I
took the answer back and updated that section.

I also took the liberty to re-organize topics and pages the way >I< like
them.  If anyone is interested, I can post an overview on the list starting
with my Documentation Index.  One of the things I didn't like about the
current Documentation Index is that it's tooooo loooong, and nearly
impossible to find anything.  The <h1> heading help a little bit, but it's
still annoying to scan for 10-15 seconds before finding the topic you want.

>     Getting back on topic I think PmWiki has pretty good docs over all.
> I think we just need to work on getting info that comes out in
> pmwiki-users on the web page and maybe on a little more organization.

Agreed!  I'm curious to know how many people are ACTIVILY working on the
documentation right now?
Maybe we could split it in to sections and volunteer to complete certain
parts?  That way 5 or 10 people could be working on it without too much
worry of re-doing documentation that somebody else just finished re-doing?

--S