[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Main.SideBar

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 17 19:48:44 CST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:08:27AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > How about renaming Main.SideBar into PmWiki.SideBarExample? IMO:
> >
> > * Most pages that come with the distribution should be in PmWiki/
>
> Most pages that come with the distribution *are* in PmWiki/ .
> I believe the current ratio is 72 to 5.  :-) :-)
>
> The real question is:  when someone first installs PmWiki, what page
> should they be taken to first?

At wiki.lyx.org I use LyX.Welcome as the first page, how about

	PmWiki.Welcome

> PmWiki.PmWiki is a bad choice, because the new admin will start creating
> pages from that page and their initial pages will all end up in the
> PmWiki group, necessitating a cleanup later.

I also have a separate group for creating pages in --Playground-- so
how about we introduce:

	Playground.Welcome
	Playground.SandBox

(I like the connection between sandboxes and a playground :-)

> > At the top of the page we can write something like:
> >
> > 	To create a ''sidebar'' for a group you just create a page
> > 	called @@<group>.SideBar@@. You can use this page as an example
> > 	of what you can have in your sidebar. [[ThisPage:?action=source
> > 	show source of this page]].
>
> At the top of *which* page?  PmWiki.SideBarExample?

Yes.

> Surely PmWiki shouldn't be configured by default to display
> PmWiki.SideBarExample in the left bar, thus *requiring* someone to
> modify $PageLayoutFmt[] in config.php to get rid of it!

No. I just meant that the page should be available as an example of what
you might want to put in your sidebar. I don't think the sidebar should be
there by default. However, I do think it'd be nice if the sidebar "popped"
up if you simply created a page called 'SideBar' (or 'Sidebar').

/Christian