[Pmwiki-users] Re: Call For Directory Simplicity

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Feb 13 22:05:39 CST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:32:17PM -0800, Greg Morgan wrote:
> > I don't think there are too many directories... Probably not enough actually
> > Perhaps the scripts directory could be renamed to modules and then have two
> > subdirectories under it, core and local.
>
> What's the difference between a "module" and a "script"?

This is probably a rhetorical question, but I'll try to answer it anyway.
I'd say that in general, I won't be able to execute module.php by itself,
i.e. it needs to be invoked by pmwiki.php. OTOH, I could imagine directly
running http://www.pmichaud.com/scripts/user-statitistics.php by itself.
In other workds, a script is a stand-alone program (perhaps very special
purpose), whereas a module is more like a library.

Maybe 'lib/' or 'include/' is a good alternative name for 'scripts/'?

> There is no /images directory, nor do I expect there to be.  The directory
> for making things available to browsers is /pub, and if we want an
> images directory then it should be /pub/images.

It would probably be a very good idea to put a small description of the
purpose of the different directories into the README-file (in addition to
giving a link to a relevant page at pmichaud.com).

I wrote earlier that modified CSS-files could be placed in local/CSS, but
with the principle above, it makes more sense in placing them in
	pub/local/css
i.e. pmwiki.php automatically refers to pub/local/pmwiki.css instead of
pub/css/pmwiki.css if the former exists.

Something like the thing below should go into README:
> It's very important to keep security in mind when dealing with
> directories.
> In 0.6, the public directories are "pub/" and "uploads/".

+ "and the other directories are "blocked" using .htaccess-files."

/Christian