[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki freezing @ save edits

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Feb 11 14:12:58 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:56:29PM -0600, Glenn Blalock wrote:
> Patrick can explain this more fully, perhaps, but I'm curious about
>
> [description of problems with wikis with 20,000+ pages]

A quick response:  It appears that Linux (or at least the version of
linux running Glenn's wikis) has trouble with locking a file in
large directories.  *Why* this is a problem escapes me, but I already
know a fix, which is to subdivide the wiki.d directory into separate
group directories for pages in each group.  Then the problem only
occurs when there start to be 20,000 groups or 20,000 pages in a
single group.

I've already built some preliminary support for this feature into
PmWiki, but it needs to be fleshed out some more before it really
works.  I'll see if I can get this capability fully implemented in
either the 0.6.0 or 0.6.1 releases so that it will solve such
problems for the future.  As always this is going to be a
configurable option, with the default setting to be the way that
PmWiki has always stored files in the past.

As a temporary fix for Glenn's system I've gone ahead and patched
pmwiki.php to work as I just described--this will also be a good
test to see if the proposed fix really "fixes" things.  :-)