[Pmwiki-users] User name in Beta4

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Feb 6 11:20:37 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:59:24AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:12:13PM +0100, Jean-Claude wrote:
> > Right now, when using [[$LastModifiedBy]]:
> > - JeanClaude triggers a ?, as expected,
> > - Jean-Claude does not; it should!
> > - JCG or jcg do not; they should!
>
> I agree that they should--I just haven't had a chance to update the
> $LastModifiedBy link appropriately, because I'm waiting for a decision
> to be made about the signature syntax to see if it might be appropriate.

...and I started to do this for [[$LastModifiedBy]] but soon decided
against it.  To me, [[$LastModifiedBy]] should always be replaced by
the authors name, and only the author's name, because it might be used in
contexts where the link to the author group isn't appropriate.  If
someone wants to generate a link to the appropriate user page, it's
easily done with

   Profiles/{{[[$LastModifiedBy]]}}

or, if/when we develop a signature shortcut:

   --[[$LastModifiedBy]]

I've demonstrated the first version on
http://www.pmichaud.com/work/beta/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage -- it was
relatively easy to put together.

Of course, a local administrator can customize the meaning of
[[$LastModifiedBy]] or create a new syntax/directive with the
desired effects built in.