[Pmwiki-users] More blue skye stuff...

Steven Leite steven_leite
Tue Feb 3 21:25:59 CST 2004

>Which brings me to a (IMO) very important idea, in answer to the
>question that John Feezell posed in his email about new features for
>the wiki [1].  Earlier in January there was a discussion thread [2] about
>making sure that information gems from the listserv making it into
>recorded history somewhere, and we've just seen another instance
>where this looks to be highly desirable.  I think PmWiki (or at least
>the PmWiki developers) could really use automated support for this,
>and it might be very useful for collaborative contexts in general--
>much more powerful than what can be done with simple listserv or
>news archives.

Here's an idea.  Make another ADD-ON for PmWiki.  The ADD-ON should be
general, not specific to this idea.  So let's call it the EMAIL_PAGE add-on.
Now here's my specifc idea.

Allow users (either accross the site, or within a group, or within a single
page only) to SUBMIT to a specific email address.  The post would be stored
on the PAGE.  Every time the PAGE is updated / edited, it is again EMAILED
to the email address (in this case, pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com).

This idea may not perfectly solve PM's question above, but I think it's a
unique feature that no other wiki has.  It's similar to email notification
of a changed page, but that it mails or send the contents of the entire page
to some email address after each edit.

To make the feature BETTER, we could include a checkbox in the edit form
(notify mailing list of this change?  Yes/No).  If yes, the page is sent, if
no, the page is updated normally and the mailing list does not receive any
notification.

I'm not sure if you have to be registered to use the mailing list, but if
authentication is a problem, then we can build on the above idea where by if
the checkbox is ticked (to send the page to the mailing list), then a
username and password (mailing list username or password, or just a general
password give out to all mailing list participants) would be entered.  After
verification, the page would be sent to the mailing list.

Again, I would like to see this as a general all-purpose plug-in that could
be used for different purposes, not just this particular purpose.

Steven Leite