[Pmwiki-users] Re: Action or form for creating a new page

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 3 14:10:59 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:21:47AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it'd be good to have a link called 'New page', that when you click
> > on it gives you a page with an edit form. But this edit page also lets
> > you specify the name of the page that will be created?
>
> Could be done, but we can quickly run into problems if the user enters
> an invalid name into the form.  I think we should prototype this with
> a cookbook script.

This was just a "proof of concept". What do people think of the principle
though?  (Personally, I'll just continue to use Emacs/pmwiki-mode).
I just thought that something like a 'New Page'-link might be good for
beginners and played a bit with it. Maybe you could file it with
other good/less good ideas :-)

> > Oh, and another thing about creating pages. A pretty useful thing are the
> > 'templates' in MoinMoin, i.e. you get to choose a template page before
> > you start creating your page. IIRC, the templates are simply any page
> > whose name matches 'Template*', e.g. TemplateHomepage.
>
> PmWiki supports templates of a sort--try creating a new page in the Cookbook
> to see it at work.  PmWiki just sets $DefaultPageTextFmt to be the contents
> of the CookbookTemplate page.
>
> In MoinMoin, does selecting a page template happen via JavaScript or is
> it a special link that is pressed that reloads the page with the desired
> template?  How should it work if we do something like this in PmWiki?

It's quite straightforward in MoinMoin. You are first shown an
intermediary screen where you get to select between no template or one of
the existing ones (a template is just any wikipage with the name
starting (or maybe ending) in 'Template'.

> This feature is another one that could easily be prototyped in the
> Cookbook, and I'll be happy to create one after I get the pmwiki 0.6
> release out the door.  :-)

Same thing with this one, add it to the list. I just thought of it and
thought I'd bring it up before I forget about it.

/Christian