[Pmwiki-users] Authors/Users WikiGroup?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Feb 3 10:04:31 CST 2004

Wow, what a thread.  :-)

Rather than reply individually to the messages about wiki group names,
I'll summarize my reactions and thoughts here.

On what a "Users" group should be named:

Creating a term is an terrific idea, and some of the proposals are
quite good.  The one that first came to my mind was "Wikizens",
along the lines of "citizen".  Wikipedia users call themselves
"Wikipedians", so we could also do something like "Wikians".

On the other hand, although PmWiki is indeed a wiki engine, I'm not
sure I want the focus to be entirely on its wiki nature.  The real
point of PmWiki is enable collaborative authoring and sharing of
information via web sites, and wiki just happens to be a technology
that seems to work well for this.  Standardizing on a term like
"wikizen", "wikian", etc. somehow seems like it might place too much
emphasis on the wiki nature of the system, which might not fit well
with organizations that are simply looking for a way to manage
web content and really aren't focused on being a traditional wiki.

On the other suggested group names:

   Contributors        good but perhaps too long
   Person or Persons   I like "People" better--sounds more "together"
   Names               an excellent suggestion
   Human               might be giving some users too much credit  :-)
   Partners            may be too strong or legalistic
   Members             always seems to imply exclusivity to me

I still don't have a strong feeling for or against any particular
term that's been suggested, but this discussion is very helpful.