[Pmwiki-users] Re: Author tracking questions

Reimer Behrends behrends
Sun Feb 1 16:27:06 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:57:24PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
[Paragraph where a line ends in -- + uppercase word.]
>  1. If you write the paragraph on one line, this won't happen.

People don't necessarily do that. For example, if you edit a wiki page
in a normal text editor, breaking paragraphs into lines is often more
convenient.

>  2. Or just put a space after 'That'...

Invisible markup (spaces at the end of the line) is a bad idea in my
opinion. Not only because it is invisible and you can't tell it is
there, but because some editors strip it when you reformat a paragraph.

>  3. I think the text "...Happiness -- That" should actually be entered as:
> 	...Happiness — That

Actually, I prefer to leave that interpretation to a small addition
to $InlineReplacements, for the following reasons:

1. It's more readable.
2. I can make it an en dash or em dash depending on typographic
   preferences (cf. Bringhurst's "Element of Typographic Style")
   without having to alter the markup on every page.
3. I can make the preceding space automatically non-breakable
   without creating a mess like "Happiness – That".
   Or I can make the spaces surrounding the dash thin spaces.

YMMV, of course.

			Reimer Behrends