[Pmwiki-users] Re: Author tracking questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Feb 1 13:19:51 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:46:46PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > What should PmWiki do if someone doesn't fill in the author field--should
> > it return them to the edit page with a note of some sort that the author
> > field is required?  (Of course this would need to be optional.)
>
> I guess one alternative would be to have a checkbox called:
> 	[ ] I'm an anonymous coward

Or, one could just put that in the note itself--"If you're an anonymous
coward, just enter 'anonymous'".   :-)

> Speaking of checkboxes, I think there should also be a checkbox for:
>
> 	[ ] This is a minor change, don't track this change.

Well, all changes have to be tracked, otherwise the ability to restore
pages to previous versions gets messed up.  But what can be changed
the display of the page history output--it could suppress those
changes that are marked as minor.  This might mean that the remaining
changes don't appear entirely consistent with each other, but I can
live with that.  (Yes, I know that PmWiki could potentially combine
the minor changes together to remove the inconsistencies, but that's
just a bit more work than I'm wanting to do at the moment...).

> > Actually, for now I've done [[$LastModifiedBy]], to remain
> > consistent with [[$LastModified]] and [[$LastModifiedHost]].
> > PmWiki internally sets the $Author global variable to be the name of the
> > person currently editing/browsing pages.
>
> These directives sounds good to me, although it's of course confusing that
> the internal variable has a completely different name...

Not really--they represent different things.  $LastModifiedBy identifies
who last edited the document in question, while $Author indicates who
is currently editing/viewing the document.  I suppose I could use
$LastModifiedAuthor or $LastAuthor, but somehow $LastModifiedBy "reads
better" to me.