[Pmwiki-users] Fwd: Problem setting CleanURLs for personal Pmwiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 27 08:32:57 CST 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 06:54:40PM -0500, slonik AZ wrote:
> Patrick,
> your email was very helpful. Unfortunately, the new version of
> Cookbook/CleanUrls as it written is not quite correct. At least for
> Apache2 server it is not a good idea to put full URLs (complete with
> "http://" string) in a rewrite rule, for Apache2 sends ithe whole
> rewritten URL back to the browser as an external redirection, and,
> thus, with all "/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?...." appearing again in a
> web-browser's  address bar. If I am not mistaken, the entire purpose
> of CleanURLs was to hide "pmwiki.php?" in the address bar.

Ummm, the new version doesn't say to put a full URL (complete with
"http://" string) in the rewrite rules -- at least, I wasn't intending
to imply that the "http://" was required.  I just wanted to make sure
the end user knows they have to put a url there and not a filesystem
path (a common mistake).

Anyway, I updated the page again -- see if it makes it clearer.