[Pmwiki-users] clean PmWiki URL

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 20 07:30:06 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:49:41AM +0000, Hans Bracker wrote:
> I just tried the cleanURL recipe on a test installation.
>
> Hovering over the logo shows the correct url:
> http://www.flutesong.net/testwiki
>
> But when I click the logo I get:
> http://flutesong.naturalscotland.co.uk/testwiki/
> it is still the correct page, but the root url gets resolved
> differently.

This is your webserver at work.  When you specify a directory name
as a url with no trailing slash, Apache (and other webservers) send a
"redirect" response back to the browser telling to re-request the
page *with* the slash, so that it's correct according to the various
url standards.  I've provided a transcript below, and see also:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_dir.html
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slashforward/

PmWiki and the .htaccess file given by CleanUrls can't do much
about this, because they don't get accessed or addressed until a
URL arrives with the slash.

Pm

==== result of request for http://www.flutesong.net/testwiki (no slash) ====

$ lynx -head -mime-header http://www.flutesong.net/testwiki