[Pmwiki-users] Re: Password never accepted

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Dec 18 08:13:46 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:02:46PM -0600, Michael Harris wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Hmmm.... problem is that crypt doesn't appear to be supported on my server
> (Novell Netware 6.5 with Novell's port of Apache and PHP), so I've had to
> remove or comment out references to it in pmwiki.php and config.php.  This
> is a single server, single PmWiki situation.
>
> I wouldn't be suprised but what my removal/commenting out of crypt usage is
> incomplete and incorrect.  I'll have to study the code.  But as far as I
> know, use of crypt, in any way, is not an option in my situation.

If crypt doesn't appear at all in your PHP implementation, then instead
of removing/commenting out the crypt usage, just add your own "dummy"
crypt function in local.php:

  function crypt($str, $salt) { return bin2hex($str); }

Passwords will work again, although they'll just be encoded and not
"encrypted" (i.e., someone looking at the encoded string could deduce
the original password -- but this is not normally a problem anyway).