[Pmwiki-users] ?pagename= addresses

John Rankin john.rankin
Fri Dec 10 17:27:17 CST 2004

On Saturday, 11 December 2004 11:59 AM, Neil Herber <nospam at mail.eton.ca> wrote:
>At 2004-12-11  11:39 AM +1300, John Rankin is rumored to have said:
>>A case can be made that ?page=Group.Name would be clearer.
>>As this is the first thing new users see, perhaps a slightly
>>longer name is appropriate.
>
>I would suggest that this is not the first thing users see - they seem to
>pay very little attention to the tail end of URLs.

In principle I agree, but...

Many people go to a wiki for the first time by following a
link in an email, for example. Or it's read out over the
radio. Or you tell someone over the phone. Or...

One test is to try speaking the address:

"question mark lower case pee equals, er the letter pee for Papa"

>And on PmWikis using PATH_INFO, they won't ever see it!

Yes, but as I understand the proposal, ?p=Group.Name will
be the default behaviour. Surely we should strive to make
the default as clear as possible?

--
JR