[Pmwiki-users] more thoughts on .htaccess

Neil Herber nospam
Fri Dec 10 10:29:34 CST 2004

At 2004-12-10  02:47 PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz is rumored to have said:
>Note that while I'm glad to offer any help that I can, I'm sceptical that
>the entire issue is worth an entry in the cookbook or even discussing it
>in this list. Easy-to-do optimizations like this one tend to pop up over
>and over, and because it's so so simple, almost nobody does a realistic
>effort-to-effect assessment (both for the implementers and for the
>documenters).

Jo

I feel that the page that I created here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WebServerSecurity

has some value, because with a default install of Apache 2, .htaccess files
are ignored. It provides some sample URLs to test your .htaccess and make
sure it is working.

Can you scan this page and let me know if there are any errors or if it is
worth the electrons it takes to serve it? ;->

Note that the page *does not* advocate the "httpd.conf solution", but it is
mentioned since the Apache 2 docs make a fairly big deal about it.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668